Thursday, June 30, 2016

Bad Ass, Naughty Goat

 Life here definitely keeps me on my toes. Between tiny humans and troublesome critters, there's never a dull moment.
 This week has been no different. Kids learning to ride bikes, kids crashing bikes, shopping for a "mom" bike, bottle-baby-kitten to foster, saddle fit issues, and goat & donkey shenanigans. 
 Feeding times in the barn is similar to herding cats. One would think that bringing two horses into a two stall barn should be fairly straight forward and simple. My mare Lily is the only well oiled machine in this whole process.
 Morning feed time is always the hardest. I put grain into each feed tub, including the donkey/goat tub on the ground in the aisle. I open the gate and they *should* all go to their said feed stations. Lily has no problem here. Spanky pony meanders his way to his stall while I race the goat to keep him out of the old pony's large amount of grain. This is assuming that the pony actually finds his stall and doesn't get sidetracked by the donkey's grain. If I don't win the goat race, I then get to play ring-around-the-pony trying catch the goat, which typically spooks pony and pony leaves to eat donkey's grain. Donkey gets mad, breys, snorts, and kicks at pony.
 Finally get all 4 legged critters in their places. Now I get to clean stalls and wait for 6 hours for pony to finish eating his grain. I prefer stall chains in the heat but have to shut pony's door to keep the starving goat out.
 On days like today the goat is not satisfied with his normal amount of raucous behavior. Today he talked Marco into breaking into the tack/feed room for second breakfast while I was distracted cleaning pony's stall. Silly me, thinking I could simply pull the door shut for the 15 minutes it takes to pick two stalls.

 Marco was at least respectful enough to jump & run when caught (after I had photographic evidence that is). Goat proceeded to look at me like "what?!", and had to be forcibly removed from the snack bar.


1 comment:

  1. But mom.....! They just wanted to eat their second breakfast in peace!! 😂

    ReplyDelete